Tottenham’s unbeaten streak shattered as Fulham triumphs 5-3 on penalties in league cup clash


In a dramatic turn of events, Ange Postecoglou, the newly appointed Tottenham Hotspur manager, faced his first taste of defeat as his team fell to Fulham in a gripping League Cup second-round encounter that ended in a nail-biting penalty shootout.

The match, which took place on Tuesday, saw Fulham emerge victorious with a 5-3 penalty shootout win after a 1-1 draw during regular time.

Postecoglou had masterminded an impressive start to his debut season at the helm of Tottenham.

The team secured consecutive victories against Manchester United and Bournemouth, following a draw against Brentford. However, the promising streak was abruptly halted as Tottenham’s weakened lineup, featuring nine changes, struggled to find their rhythm at Craven Cottage.

The Australian manager handed a full debut to Manor Solomon, while also including Giovani Lo Celso and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in the starting lineup, despite ongoing speculation about their future with the club.

On the other side, Fulham’s manager Marco Silva, who served a touchline ban due to accumulating three yellow cards, made six changes to his squad.

The match kicked off with a 19th-minute own goal by Micky van de Ven, inadvertently giving Fulham the lead as a cross from Tom Cairney was turned into his own net by the Tottenham defender.

However, Tottenham managed to capitalize on a peculiar incident that left Fulham with 10 players, allowing them to level the score in the 56th minute. A problem with Kenny Tete’s boot forced him to sprint to the dressing room to retrieve a replacement. Seizing this opportunity, Ivan Perisic delivered a cross from the exact position Tete would have defended, leading to a precise header by Richarlison.

Despite both teams’ efforts to secure a decisive victory, the match culminated in a penalty shootout. Tottenham’s Davinson Sanchez saw his effort saved by Fulham’s goalkeeper Marek Rodak, while Kenny Tete, now with properly equipped boots, sealed the victory for Fulham with a crucial penalty kick.

This defeat puts a dent in Tottenham’s aspirations to end their trophy drought, which stretches back to 2008.

As a result of this early League Cup exit, they are left with one less competition to target in their pursuit of silverware this season.

In other League Cup action, Luton secured their first win of the season by defeating fourth-tier Gillingham 3-2 at Kenilworth Road. After stumbling against Brighton and Chelsea in their initial Premier League fixtures, Luton made a triumphant return to their home ground, marking their first top-flight appearance in 31 years.

Meanwhile, Bournemouth’s Andoni Iraola celebrated his inaugural victory in English football as his team secured a thrilling 3-2 win against second-tier Swansea.

The Spaniard’s tenure had begun with a draw against West Ham and losses to Tottenham and Liverpool. Bournemouth’s triumph was sealed by Ryan Christie’s last-minute goal.

Lastly, Brentford progressed to the next round with a penalty shootout victory, overcoming a 1-1 draw against fourth-tier Newport. Crystal Palace staged an incredible comeback against Plymouth, rebounding from a two-goal deficit to secure a 4-2 victory, courtesy of Jean-Philippe Mateta’s hat-trick.

Additionally, fourth-tier Salford pulled off a stunning upset by defeating Leeds 9-8 on penalties following a 1-1 draw, a victory that garnered praise from co-owner Gary Neville, one of the renowned former Manchester United players.

As the League Cup continues to deliver thrilling clashes, football enthusiasts eagerly await the upcoming rounds to witness more unexpected twists and memorable victories.

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *